Pair of Chinese porcelain famille verte large ovoid vases and covers, each painted with eight panels of swooping birds including kingfishers and magpies, perched amongst flowering peony, prunus, aster and camellia, with rockwork between further panels of ‘100 Antiques’, including brushpots, counter holders, vases, scrolls, wrapped qin, ruyi-sceptre, censers, games boards, brushes and hanging ornaments, all on a seed-green ground heightened with butterflies and other flowers above a wide flower head band at the foot, the shoulders with precious object reserves on a hexagonal diaper ground, the domed covers with ‘100 Antiques’ decoration above a wide band of floral reserves on a similar seed-green ground with butterflies.
20 inches, 50.8 cm total height.
Kangxi, circa 1700.
• Formerly in the The Hon. Mrs. Nellie Ionides Collection.
• Sold by Sotheby’s, London, in their auction of The Ionides Collection Catalogue of Important Chinese Porcelain, Part I, Removed from Buxted Park, 2nd July 1963, lot no. 95, purchased by Mrs. Glatz, both illustrated opposite p. 31.
• Formerly in the Daelemans Family Collection, Belgium.
• Included by Marchant in their catalogue of Recent Acquisitions, 2007, no. 36, pp. 68-69.
• Published by Marchant in their exhibition of Kangxi Famille Verte, 2017, no. 24, pp. 68-71.
• A similar pair, gift of Winston F. C. Guest, B.A., 1927 are in The Yale University Art Gallery, collection no. 19188.8.131.52/2.
五彩開光花鳥博古圖蓋罐一對 清康熙 The Hon. Nellie Ionides 夫人舊藏
Condition: both covers with crack restored, one vase with a body crack.