Chinese imperial porcelain saucer dish painted on a yellow ground and incised with a green and aubergine five-clawed dragon encircling a flaming pearl amongst stylised clouds and flames, the underside with aubergine grapes and green leaves on a yellow ground extending to the base.
5 1/4 inches, 13.3 cm diameter.
The base with a six-character mark of Tongzhi and of the period, 1862-1874.
Overall excellent condition.
Provenance & Additional Information
- Formerly in the collection of Henry Mazot (1882-1956), who lived and worked in Beijing from the 1920’s for the Bank of Indochina where he finished as Chairman. The family left Beijing in 1946 to move back to France, where they settled in Normandy. Most of the Chinese porcelain in the family collection was left in wooden trunks in the basement of their chateau from 1946 until Christmas 2015, when his granddaughter who inherited the home decided to finally open them.
- A similar example in the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, is illustrated by Hepburn Myrtle in the exhibition of Late Chinese Imperial Porcelain, 1980, no. 43, p. 31; another, donated by Hugh Moss, is illustrated by Laurence C.S. Tam in The Wonders of the Potter’s Palette, Qing Ceramics from the Collection of Hong Kong Museum of Art, presented by the Urban Council, Hong Kong, 1984, no. 114, collection no. C 80.52, pp. 170/1; another was included by Marchant in their exhibition of Qing Mark and Period Monochromes and Enamelled Wares, 1981, no. 30; another is illustrated by Gunhild Avitabile in the exhibition catalogue From the Dragon’s Treasure, Chinese Porcelain from the 19th and 20th centuries in the Weishaupt Collection, 1987, no. 102, p. 76; another in the Groninger Museum, is illustrated by Christine van de Pijl-Ketel and Christien F. W. Smits in From Empire to People’s Republic, catalogue no. 35, collection no. 1945-26, p. 62; another is in the Percival David Foundation in the British Museum, collection no. PDF, B.710 and was acquired in 1966 from Bluett & Son.